Fidelity Investments yesterday reported its average 401(k) balance rose to $74,600 at the end of the first quarter, up 8% from the end of the fourth quarter 2011 and a 62% increase since the end of the first quarter 2009.
According to the firm, strong stock market performance in the first quarter accounted for some 80% of the account balance growth with the other 20% attributed to both participant and employer contributions.
In Q1, Fidelity also found that the number of participants taking advantage of annual increase programs (i.e. auto escalation) increased nearly nine-fold over the past five years and in 2011, 20% more participants attended workplace workshops and 45% more used online webinars compared to 2010.
“Participants have become much more engaged in their financial futures, as demonstrated by increased savings levels quarter over quarter” stated James M. MacDonald, president, Workplace Investing, Fidelity Investments.
“We also see clear evidence that employers can have a meaningful impact on employee retirement readiness by fostering a culture of savings at the workplace.”
Fidelity’s 401(k) savings analysis is based on the industry’s largest participant base of 11.8 million accounts2.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Bank Investment Consultant content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access